The end of July means it’s just four months until we arrive in La Gomera to undertake our final preparations
for the world’s toughest row. July has been a hot one and we’ve been lucky enough to spend a big chunk of
it on or by the river, from Henley to the Sunken Buxey!
- Poppy and the team spent two weekends out on the River Crouch, adapting to life on the water. As well
as the physical adjustment, we’re learning how Poppy (and us!) respond in different winds and tides.
We’ve been practising two hours on, two hours off; eating expedition foods; our seamanship skills
(especially our knots) and of course using the bucket! High point – the seal colony; low point – 16 knot
winds against tide!
- Back on dry land we’re focusing on our strength as it’s deadlifts, leg presses, rows and squats all the
way. But we haven’t forgotten those two hour erg sessions on non-rowing weekends – thanks for the
words of encouragement Zoe Ball!
- Suze complete all her courses as she finally finished her essential seamanship and navigation so can
now take bearings off the local churches as we cross the Atlantic (!). Caroline and Jess will finish any
- The Henley Royal Regatta was a highlight of the month as we braved taking Poppy around the M25
(thanks Lisa) to show her off to the crowds watching the racing. Huge thanks to the hundreds of people
who came to see her and talk to us about the row – we raised over £2000 at the event, including a
generous donation from Simon and the Crown team enjoying the Henley hospitality.
- Many congratulations to Ryan Notter (0.12s) and Kaila Engelsman (0.15s) who won our 100m rowing sprint competition and will have their names on our
boat as we cross the Atlantic. Thanks to WaterRower for lending us the machines!
- The last weekend of July was the Kimpton Horse Show – thanks to Sallie Wilson for running the raffle
for us and everyone who donated a prize or bought at ticket. A fantastic £400 was raised!
- We’re delighted to bring on board IP Asset as a bronze sponsor. IP Asset is a specialist practice of
Patent Attorneys and Legal Practitioners with extensive commercial experience. We met Ian Bingham
at Henley and are very grateful for his enthusiasm and support for our mission.
- We were really pleased to catch up with Selchouk from our bronze sponsor Rainbow Brands for lunch.
Both rainbow brands and us will be exhibiting at the British Canoeing Super September event on 15/16
September at Lee Valley- come and check us out!
- We’ve been working hard alongside the wonderful Sangeeta of Serendipity PR to attract some more
corporate sponsors to help power our mission – let us know of any companies who might be interested
in this fantastic PR opportunity.
- Our story was featured by IndiaCSR – India’s largest corporate sustainability and responsibility network.
It’s amazing to have our mission reach so far and to a country which faces one of the biggest challenges
in fighting plastic pollution, but also has some of the strongest advocates for change.
- Caroline was interviewed by the Vegan Adventurist. Caroline will be fully plant powered for the row and
was delighted to share our story and talk about something she cares passionately about – food!
- And we surpassed 800 Instagram followers – if you’re not already, please follow/ like us on Instagram,
Twitter and Facebook to get daily news on what we’re up to.
With such little time left to the start line it’s very much all systems go…but we’re still looking for more funding
to get us and Poppy back from Antigua! You can help us at www.statusrow.com/support!